NALAG RELEASE ON THE COVID-19
- March 24, 2020
- Posted by: NALAG
- Category: Uncategorized
23rd March, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Recent developments regarding the outbreak of the novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) pandemic across the world and its recent incident in Ghana has directly affected all aspects life. The recently suspected case of community infection places a high responsibility on us as Local Government Authorities (LGAs).
In the face of the current CONVID-19 pandemic, the National Association of Local Authorities of Ghana (NALAG) acting through its President wishes to communicate the following to the entire membership, partners and stakeholders;
- Taking from the directive by the President of the Republic, all foreign travels by members of NALAG (Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies – MMDAs, The National Executive Council – NEC, and the Secretariat Staff) are temporarily suspended.
- All inter-organizational activities such as meetings, peer-to-peer review, sister-city relationships, international visits to NALAG, etc. is temporary suspended until further notice.
- Workshops, Training and Capacity Building Programmes of the Association have been suspended until further notice.
- All international travels of NALAG members have been temporary suspended pending any future directives from authorities in charge of controlling the spread of COVID-19.
- We wish all affected countries and local governments Authorities and Associations across the world God’s speed.
- We call on all Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) to step up their activities in fighting this pandemic and rid our country of this uninvited enemy.
- Assembly members are entreated to assist their respective Assemblies by educating their constituents on the safety protocols as outlined by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development with regards to keeping of social distance and personal hygiene.
- We call on all city guards and/or authorities to ensure that traders along and within our market centers use hand sanitizers even as they interact with customers and observe all other social distancing protocols to avoid further community spread of the virus.
- We also urge Hon. Assembly members and Unit Committee members to encourage community members to report people with suspected cases to the right authorities for immediate response through the hotline numbers put out by the Ghana Health Service (0508497700 / 0558439868).
This communication is aimed at protecting our members and the general public from getting exposed to and/or contracting the virus.
For any enquires and contact please do well to reach the organization through our official addresses and platforms;
HON. KOKRO AMANKWAH
For: PRESIDENT, NALAG